Tony Saunders is a dynamic, trusted, and people-oriented marketing & communications professional with extensive experience in various industries, including Tourism, Travel Insurance, Quick Service Restaurants, Medical Devices, and Fast-Moving Consumer.
Tony is a marketing leader with 20+ years of experience in a range of commercial and not-for-profit organisations. His strategic mindset and can-do attitude ensure marketing initiatives generate momentum in an organisation and exceed consumer expectations and ROI benchmarks.
Tony is passionate about helping clients get the most from their marketing budget by tailoring integrated marketing solutions specific to a business need. His exceptional communication and collaboration skills enable him to work effectively with all levels of an organisation to deliver B2C and B2B marketing activities that deliver outstanding commercial results.
TravelCard Real - Time Travel Insurance
Head of Marketing
- Developed and executed a range of B2B marketing initiatives that delivered the Year #2 Broker acquisition targets within the first 12 months from launch.
- Generated $18M of PR coverage for the TravelCard Launch in Australia.
- Became the # 1 most visited stand during the launch at the national broker conference in Vic.
- Signed over 71% of the “Steadfast brokerages” within the 1st month from the National launch.
- Contracted as TravelCard’s Brand Ambassador, TV’s Ch. 9’s Getaway host, Catriona Rowntree.
- Attained marketing ROI’s of >2:1 via, Automation, CRM, Big Data, AI, social media, SEO / CPC.
Tourism New Zealand
General Manager Australia
- Owner of the annual business plan for Australia which included the development of 4 new pillars of paid, owned and earned marketing activity, delivering 9.7% annual growth in holiday arrivals and +15% in expenditure from Australian visitors.
- An integral member of the Executive Leadership Team which is responsible for the 4- year global marketing plan and budget allocation across priority markets.
- Developed a new retail strategy to motivate and up-skill travel agents, including the launch of Australasia’s largest ever learning and development program, resulting in 19% retail sales up lift, and an ROI of 6:1.
- Converted 17.6M of bids from the conference market in Australia, up from 12M in FY15.
- Strengthened strategic relationships with major retailers and operators in Australia, such as Air New Zealand and Flight Centre, through negotiating a range of new partnership initiatives to maximise conversion, drive regional dispersal, and launch a heavy program of joint-venture sales and marketing campaigns, and high-impact PR activations.
- Tourism New Zealand was voted the best National Tourism Organisation in Australia by the National Federation of Travel Agents in 2016 and 2018.
Yum Restaurants International
Senior Marketing Manager
- Successfully managed a global project team to launch a new e-commerce platform and online ordering site for Pizza Hut Australia, which increased online sales from $51M to $62Mm and nominated for ‘The 2010 Best Retail Site in Australia’ in the AIMIA awards.
- Developed and launched an innovative new Pizza Hut iPhone application which generated 250k downloads and $1.5m in revenue sales in the first 9 months.
- Developed a 3-year strategic plan and framework to increase the online mix of total system $sales from 22% to 40%. This included an array of digital activities such as SEM, SEO, eDM’s, ordering Widgets and an online specific communication plan.
- Created a highly differentiated social media strategy and launch plan which has been adopted by several markets in the YUM network.
- Ongoing provider of digital advice to YUM colleagues overseas and a judge for the IAB Awards.
- Developed an online Local Store Marketing portal populated with an array of new marketing materials now accessed by over 100 Franchisees on a regular basis.